Monday, December 11, 2006

I know that this is possibly a controversial subject, but I wanted to comment a bit more on what I was talking about in my post on the 21st November. After going to college last Wednesday and talking to some of my fellow students I was struck by how many of them had been thinking about this subject recently. It seems that it's something God is putting on lots of people's hearts, I for one can't stop thinking about it. But I'm not sure what God wants me to do about it. Hopefully he'll clear that up soon.
It also seems that it's not just us trainee youth workers that are considering it either. I was reading Steve Chalke's new book "Intelligent Church" (which is well worth a read people - very challenging!), and I came across this paragraph on the subject of incarnational church, and I was wondering what other people were thinking - comments please!

"If God is incarnational, and the church's task is to be part of God's mission, this principle must be ours too. An inclusive church will be a congregation open to all - a community for those displaced. It will be an environment in which the unloved and the unlovely find refuge and belonging. It will be a refuge to the homeless, a family to the forgotten, a friend to the lonely and a place where the outcasts of society can enjoy life in all its fullness. An inclusive church will not be made up only of people who have life sorted. Instead it will almost certainly include drug-users, alcoholics, people with mental health problems, the homeless, the unemployed, single mothers, ex-convicts, prostitutes and so on. It will be a church where the imperfect are perfectly welcome. It will strive to ensure that it is accessible to those who can't walk, or hear, or see, or speak. In short, it will be a home for those who need one"

2 comments:

Simon said...

Hi, peta, great to see your blog, you should post more :)

Also glad to see you quoting Steve Chalke, one of my heroes, have heard him speak several times at Spring Harvest (next year is my 2oth consecutive year at the event!)

Key thing for me is to shift the emphasis from (a) believing and then belonging to (b) belonging and then believing. A huge challenge then to have a community where you really can belong and continue at your own pace to find Jesus.

Re going out into the community, we have a new minister who has laid before us a vision for the church that you may find helpful. See explanation and then this groups supplement

Two guys who are trailblazing in this area are Gerard Kelly and Rob Bell (both their churches' sermons are freely available!

Anonymous said...

BORING... ZZZZZ...